[Xen-devel] Unable to boot Xen on top of Xen, any help?

  • To: <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Wei, Jinpeng" <jinpeng.wei@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 09:23:39 +0800
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 29 May 2007 18:21:57 -0700

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to run Xen-unstable in a HVM domain which is inside
Xen-unstable (I am using Intel VT-enabled processor). For the HVM domain
I am using a file-backed block device to hold the file system, so the
config file contains one line:

disk = [ 'file:path/imgfile, ioemu:hda, w' ]

But when I boot Xen-unstable in the HVM domain, I got the following
panic message:

Xen virtual console successfully installed as ttyS0
Event-channel device installed.
Freeing unused kernel memory: 192k freed
Red Hat nash version 5.1.19 starting
Mounting proc filesystem
Mounting sysfs filesystem
Creating /dev
Creating initial device nodes
Setting up hotplug.
input: ImExPS/2 Generic Explorer Mouse as /class/input/input1
Creating block device nodes.
usbcore: registered new driver usbfs
usbcore: registered new driver hub
USB Universal Host Controller Interface driver v3.0
Creating root device.
Mounting root filesystem.
mount: could not find filesystem '/dev/root'
Setting up other filesystems.
Setting up new root fs
setuproot: moving /dev failed: No such file or directory
no fstab.sys, mounting internal defaults
setuproot: error mounting /proc: No such file or directory
setuproot: error mounting /sys: No such file or directory
Switching to new root and running init.
unmounting old /dev
unmounting old /proc
unmounting old /sys
switchroot: mount failed: No such file or directory

It looks like that the internal dom 0 Linux (Red Hat nash version
5.1.19) does not recognize the disk device emulated by the external Xen.
This is because I can boot Fedora Core 6 in the same HVM domain, and
from dmesg I can see that the emulated disk was recognized as 'QEMU
HARDDISK, ATA DISK drive', but in the above message I can not see this
line.

So my question is: How do I configure the dom0 Linux coming with
Xen-unstable so that it can recognize the emulated disk? Am I missing a
device driver for this QEMU HARDDISK?

Thanks!
Jinpeng