[Xen-devel] troubles using network boot with HVM guest

Hello.

I tried to boot from network with HVM guest, using guest='n'
configuration value. The DHCP query is correctly send to the server, and
the answer is propagated to the virtual domain interface, as
demonstrated by tcpdump capture (included). However, it seems the
etherboot image included in xen isn't able to process it correctly, all
I have is 'no ip address' error message.

I've tried both bridging and routing network setup, without differences.
I also tried non-default interface models ('ne2k_pci' results in 'no
bootable device found' error message, and 'pcnet32' result in a domain
unavailable through vnc).

I've googled at bit on the issue, and I found references to this discussion:
http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2006-08/msg00009.html

if I understand correctly, PXE boot was a known issue at least 10 month
ago... What is current status in xen 3.1 ?

--
Guillaume Rousse
Moyens Informatiques - INRIA Futurs