Re: [Xen-devel] Re: More virtio users

Rusty Russell wrote:
On Mon, 2007-06-11 at 10:16 +0200, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
Hi,

Framebuffer is an interesting one.  Virtio doesn't assume shared memory,
so naively the fb you would just send outbufs describing changed memory.
This would work, but describing rectangles is better.  A helper might be
the right approach here
Rectangles work just fine for a framebuffer console. They stop working once you plan to run any graphical stuff such as an X-Server on top of the framebuffer. Only way to get notified about changes is page faults, i.e. 4k granularity on the linear framebuffer memory.

Yes, I discussed this with Ben Herrenschmidt a couple of months ago.  It
would be better to provide a fb ioctl which X could use to describe
changed rectangles if available.  In the virtio case we could hand that
information through, and other virtualized framebuffers would be able to
use it similarly.

The X fbdev driver is going to make supporting a new fb ioctl pretty fun. It currently doesn't even support the existing fb ioctls and has a strange abstraction layer.

I reckon writing a new X driver from scratch (or based on something like the vnc X driver) would be easier in the long run.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

Cheers,
Rusty.