Re: [Xen-devel] [1/3] [XEN] gnttab: Add new op unmap_and_replace

Keir Fraser wrote:
On 4/6/07 15:12, "Gerd Hoffmann" <kraxel@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I'd rather name the things what they are.  Name the ethernet interface
eth0, name the bridge xenbr0 or virtbr0 or just br0.  Drop peth0.  The
only reason for the renaming was to trick the distro setup scripts by
doing "ifdown eth0; bridge-setup (with eth0 -> peth0 and veth0 -> eth0);
ifup eth0".

That trick still applies though, right? Just with xenbr0->eth0. The decision
to use or not use this trick seems orthogonal to whether or not we have the
veth0/vif0.0 loopback.

With the loopback being gone it is _much_ easier to have the distribution network scripts setting up the bridge because the setup can look the same no matter whenever a xen kernel or a native kernel has been booted.

And have the bridge setup explicitly wired up in the distro configuration is much better and cleaner than playing tricks with device naming IMHO. That way you don't confuse the distro network setup tools. Also more advanced setups involving vlan and other fancy stuff are much easier to handle then.

Thats why I'd like to see all device naming tricks being dropped.

cheers,
  Gerd