Re: [Xen-devel] Re: [kvm-devel] More virtio users

I've not reviewed the virtio patches but think I've gathered the gist of what
they're doing (puppies would probably help here)...

> On Sunday 10 June 2007, Avi Kivity wrote:
> > There are probably more.  Any ideas?
>
> * watchdog timer

I recently knocked up a watchdog timer for Xen.  The Linux-side code is based
on the softdog implementation, but the actual timer implementation is within
Xen itself.

It'd be fairly trivial to make something like this call out to a variety of
potential paravirt implementations - much of the code was effectively
boilerplate (setting up char device, dealing with magic close character,
etc).

Taking this further, it'd be quite easy to make a "null" implementation that
does what softdog did.

Watchdogs grow from puppies, so I'd think this would suit Rusty quite well ;-)

> * tty ports (not just console) to attach to via host socket
> * alsa
> * hostfs (UML like)

My XenFS project is somewhat like hostfs but it's a) a bit hairy and b) not
done yet :-)  A simpler hostfs-style filesystem would be useful and a better
target for testing out virtio.

The main thing XenFS would want that I guess other virtio devices mightn't
want is support for persistently sharing memory between virtual machines...
In the Xen case this is less trivial than the UML hostfs case.  It's not
*needed* yet, I just thought I'd throw it out there as a potential future
thing.  Presumably virtual block devices that do memory sharing might need
this sort of facility too.

Cheers,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.