Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC] [0/4] PV driver for FC transport layer

From: Jun Kamada <kama@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC] [0/4] PV driver for FC transport layer
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2007 15:44:16 +0900

> Hi, Fujita-san,
>
> On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 09:22:15 +0900
> FUJITA Tomonori <fujita.tomonori@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > We are planning to run a storage management software, which controls
> > > bindings storages on FC network to hosts, on group of guest domains.
> > > The software expect that each guest domain has each HBA, and control the
> > > HBA directly. (Ex. resetting SCSI bus and getting WWN, ...)
> >
> > How do you support storage management software that uses non-scsi?
>
> Current our scope is only SCSI on FC.
> What do you mean as the "non-scsi" ?

James Smart also asked you guys about this at the previous submission:

http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2007-05/msg00689.html

---
> We want to use SAN management software on guest OS. The software
> works on native(no VM) linux. So we think it is necesarry to
> have guest OS shown whether HBA card is FC or SCSI in the same
> way of native linux.

Well - depends on what/how your san mgmt works. If it's straight scsi,
then it would be fine - but you can't talk to anything non-scsi and
not enumerated by the hba.  If it's layered on hbaapi, it does mean
you want to talk FC, not just scsi, and now things change significantly.