Re: [Xen-devel] VMX: emulated guest use SYSENTER MSRs

  • To: Jan Beulich <jbeulich@xxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Keir Fraser <keir@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2007 13:52:37 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 06 Jul 2007 05:50:45 -0700

Probably because the existing code must remain anyway (since not all VMX
CPUs support the MSR bitmap), and the benefit of avoiding the intercepts on
CPUs that do support it would have entirely negligible performance benefit,
since the MSRs are written only at start of day. We could add calls to avoid
the intercepts anyway though, if you want to provide a patch.

 -- Keir