[Xen-devel] Question: Dynamic code in x86_64 Xen

  • To: "Keir Fraser" <keir@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Santos, Jose Renato G" <joserenato.santos@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 18:47:12 -0000
  • Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 11:45:13 -0700

(Sorry, hit the send button too soon, in the last message)

Keir,

Could you please help me understand some Xen code profile
that I cannot explain?
When running netperf on x86_64 Xen, oprofile reports that 2%
of the PC samples are not recognized (i.e. they correspond
to code outside the ".text" section reported on xen image
file). I added some instrumentation in oprofile and observed
that these PC samples are located in:
1) for dom0: in Xen BSS section (more specifically on cpu0_stack)
2) for domU: outside any section specified in Xen image file
 (i.e. dynamically allocated memory)

I suspect case 2 is also a stack for a different CPU which
is dynamically allocated (and used in the CPU that the guest
is executing) but I am not sure...

Anyway, why whould Xen execute any code from the stack? Is
this expected Xen behavior or this is a bug somewhere
(probably in xenoprofile)?
I did not see this behavior in the past when I was using x86_32 Xen.
Could you please shed some light on this ...

Thanks

Renato