Re: [Xen-devel] PATCH: Enable QEMU booting of blktap disks

  • To: "Gerd Hoffmann" <kraxel@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Andrew Warfield" <andrew.warfield@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 06:04:19 -0700
  • Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Daniel P. Berrange" <berrange@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 06:02:33 -0700
  • Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=received:message-id:date:from:sender:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references:x-google-sender-auth; b=eVwX19ARmGspbsi6xk+xcxeanG9c/8afUYFwyyZLM/KOhkflSCQNPCu9eMjk+SwChVd++Ox11gnVUS5ltmil2XiuqySB8Q2r5zW5au0MqvnQrkLMbF5sRgU7esy4CxNW9U4z6uY1E5QmFOlFsLAK21Abg/ylVizhzgo8YzmJrQM=

Gerd, don't misunderstand what I'm saying:  I'd be delighted to see
blktap and qemu share block device implementations.  However, the
blktap patch that I am commenting on achieves exactly the opposite of
that: it *requires* two implementations of any virtual disk type that
you want to use PV drivers on in an HVM guest.

a.

On 7/20/07, Gerd Hoffmann <kraxel@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Andrew Warfield wrote:
> As I've said before, I dislike the idea of having separate
> implementations of disks -- one in qemu and one in tapdisk.

The qemu one isn't going to go away due to qemu being *the* device model
for any kind of virtualization in Linux.  So if you want to have tapdisk
share the code to avoid duplication I see two possible ways to get there:

 (a) replace blktapd with qemu
 (b) put the bits into a shared library, which then can be used by
     qemu & blktapd and other tools (qemu-img, virtual machine
     management tools, ...).

cheers,
  Gerd