Re: [Xen-devel] xenoprof support patch issue for oprofile 0.9.3

Santos, Jose Renato G wrote:
Will,

Thanks for pointing this out.
I will work on a patch to fix this
By the way, it would be nice to have the xenoprof patches merged into
Oprofile CVS tree.
John Levon is not happy with the way passive domain samples are stored
now and I don't have the bandwidth (and knowdledge of user level
Oprofile code) to do the right fixes. This has prevented the patches to
be merged. It would be nice if we can find a volunteer to do the right
fixes and have the code merged. I would be happy to assist anyone who
volunteers for the task. What we need is a way of separating samples
from different domains and change to the tools to understand this new
information.

Thanks

Renato

Hi Renato,

Definitely want to avoid having separate patches to avoid just this type of problem. Getting patches upstream is the way to go on that.

Do you have a pointer to the email discussion about the passive domain sample storage? Passive means that the domain is not taking the samples and storing them in the domain, right?

One of the things that I have noticed on my previous experiments with the xenoprof is there are quite a few steps to setup xenoprof. The user has to do setup on each domain. Ideally it would be nice to be able to just do one setup in the host domain and then have that information be propagated to the guest domains. Similarly the analysis would be nice to get one over all picture of all the domains. Clusters have a similar issue; one doesn't want to manage machine individually. However clusters may have different hardware for the various nodes in the cluster. With xen the only difference could be the software.

-Will