Re: [Xen-users] Hot backup vs (local) live migration

  • To: Claris Castillo <ccastil@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 14:11:41 +0100
  • Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 06:09:19 -0700

Claris Castillo wrote:
Hi, this is the third time I post this question to the list but I have not
received any response.
This is similar to backing up an LVM snapshot of a live system. With many operating systems, there may be operations occurring in paging that have not yet been committed to the disk. Unless you can shut down things like databases and make sure all their content has been committed, you should not rely on such a snapshot for backup purposes.
By the way I tried doing local live migration and I got  *several * error
messages. I am not sure if the errors
have to do with the fact that it is not possible to perform a  local live
migration or some other technical issues
I can solve if I look at it.

I would appreciate any suggestions/advice in this regard.
cc

What were your error messages, and how did you try to do the live migration?