[Xen-devel] [Q]Xen 3.1 kernel config surprises!!

  • To: xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "pradeep singh rautela" <rautelap@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 14:54:13 +0530
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 02:24:32 -0700

Hi All,

[ First, the reason i resorted to doing this is because default dom0
and xen panic pretty soon :-/. ]

I tried shifting to Xen-3.1 but i must admit i was stumbled and
surprised to see some changes which are bothering me from last 4 days.

First the moment i do a
$make linux-2.6-xen CONFIGMODE=menuconfig
 it prompts me all well. I do my changes and do make xen to install
the hypervisor.
Well and good till here.

I decided to compile a custom dom0 and domU kernels.
I did at the root xen-3.1 src tree
  $make linux-2.6-xen0 CONFIGMODE=menuconfig

i made changes. Now i did
  $make linux-2.6-xenU CONFIGMODE=menuconfig
and made further changes.

Suddenly i thought of changing something in xenU and xen0 configs but
the config seems to be lost :-/, forcing me to the same spot from
where i started.

Sorry but i thought kernel config is supposed to be saved on exit from
menuconfig and not vanished. Did i miss something silly?
[OTOH why should the above commands totally erase the existing
.config? .... can't they just check if a .config exists and if it
does, make Xen/dom0/domU specific changes which are absolutely
necessary and leave rest of entries intact]

BTW i can't use a saved .config in any way to generate xen,dom0 or
domU for that matterr. Why?

I tried copying my custom config file to buidlconfigs dir, to replace
the default ones for xen, xenU and xen0 for x86_32 but still not luck
:-(.

Previous versions looked charm to work with when it came to kernel
recompilation.

Can anyone point me to appropriate link or howto ? Or give me a hint
on what am i missing here?

Machine info :-

Intel Pentium D 2.8 Ghz.
No VT-x.
uname -a : Linux blufox 2.6.23-rc2-lguest #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Aug 6
14:29:49 IST 2007 i686 GNU/Linux

Box is an Ubuntu work machine.

Thanks
--pradeep

pradeep singh rautela

"Genius is 1% inspiration, and 99% perspiration" - not me :)