Re: [Xen-devel] PATCH: 0/10: Merge xenfb & xenconsoled into qemu-dm

On Thu, Aug 16, 2007 at 04:34:15PM +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:

> > > They could be applied now, but was expecting people might have some
> > > feedback
> > > /recommendations for changes - Christian normally has lots of good
> > > comments
> > > for QEMU related stuff. So if I have to do another revision of the patches
> > > I'm fine with it.
> >
> > My own feeling is that the xenfb merge is very sensible, but I don't see
> > much of a win from merging xenconsoled, and the downside is that you then
> > need a qemu-dm instance for every PV guest. I think that requiring qemu-dm
> > for more 'featureful' PV guests -- framebuffer, USB, etc -- is well and
> > good, but someone who is running more minimal domU configurations --
> > console, net, block -- isn't going to want or welcome the rather unnecessary
> > per-domU overhead of qemu-dm.
>
> Yep, I can see that would be useful for some folks working in constrained
> environments. Of course they probably don't want the XenD overhead either,
> but that's a can of worms I won't get into right now ;-)
>
> Thinking about this, I think I can easily re-work the last two patches so
> that xenconsoled will continue to process the guest consoles, if-and-only-if
> the guest doesn't have a QEMU instance already doing it. That would give us
> choice between both deployment scenarios per-guest.

I've got this working ok - since both xenconsoled and qemu-dm are already
reading the /local/domain/<id>/console/ path in xenstore, I simply added
an extra field 'use-device-model' which can be 1 or 0. If XenD sees that
a PV domain has a device model then it sets it to 1, causing xenconsoled
to ignore that guest. I'll post patches to this effect over the weekend

Dan.