[Xen-devel] Is QoS of virtual disk not necessary?

  • To: <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Satoshi Uchida" <s-uchida@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 18:32:10 +0900
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 02:32:51 -0700

Hi,

I sent RFC and a patch-set of I/O framework for virtual disk in order to
introduce QoS in end of July.
 > http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2007-07/msg00863.html
But no one responded to it.

I think that when many virtual machines run on one physical machine, QoS of
machine resources will be necessary.
For example, in server consolidation, integrated servers have various roles and
are different in the desired resources.
So, distribution of resources is very important for stabilization.
As other example, it will be avoided to be affected by jobs of other people in
consolidation of office platform.

CPU and memory are controlled (allocated) at Xen hypervisor. (This is OS
agnostic)
Is similar controller for I/O not necessary?

Linux adopts CFQ which is fair scheduler which is suitable for desktop system.
But, privileged domain will be not only Linux in future.
I think that such function should be developed in Xen hypervisor or virtual
block driver framework.

Does anyone have opinions or idea?
Please reply comments.