[Xen-devel] LVM/DRBD8/Xen - issue(s) in block-IO implementation?

Hi,

while trying to use Xen, DRBD and LVM together I came across a nasty issue with the following error message "bio would need to, but cannot, be split". It happens if one starts a LVM-based DomU.

There have been some postings regarding the same issue on the xen- users-list, but none of the developers ever commented on those.

So I would like to draw some attention to this issue on the developer list ;-).

It's perfectly described in the following posting:

http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-users/2007-08/msg00338.html

I can add, that Xen and DRBD and LVM did run without such problems while using Xen 3.0.3 (Debian) and DRBD8, but started showing the issue with Xen 3.1.

The message just appears if one uses LVM volumes on DRBD devices as "phy:"-disks; if you mark such devices with "tap:" it works.

The DRBD developers point to Xen for fixing the issue. There are two threads which may lead in the right direction for someone familiar with block-IO in Xen:

http://lists.linbit.com/pipermail/drbd-user/2007-April/006728.html

http://lists.linbit.com/pipermail/drbd-user/2007-August/007269.html

http://lists.linbit.com/pipermail/drbd-user/2007-August/007270.html (just a followup to the former)

Thanks in advance for looking into it.