[Xen-devel] testing hypercall from windows - what's the most basic call I can make to test

  • To: <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 23:27:06 +1000
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 06:27:50 -0700

I'm tinkering with some code to be able to talk to the hypervisor from
Windows, with the ultimate aim to get a usable xenbus.

So far I've created a driver for the Xen PCI 'device', and (hopefully)
mapped the hypercall space given by the CPUID call...

What is the simplest hypercall I can make to get an answer from the
hypervisor to tell me that it's working?

Also, it would be really helpful if someone could validate my logic
here:
. Get the PCI details (mmio space, io space, interrupt)
. CPUID(0x40000000) to check for the XenVMMXenVMM signature
. CPUID(0x40000001) to check the Xen version
. CPUID(0x40000002) to get the number of pages for the hypercall memory
space, and the msr to use
. Allocate page-aligned, executable memory for the hypercall memory
space
. execute an WRMSR using the msr value given above and the pfn(*) of
each page
. make calls into the above space as required

(*) - It isn't clear to me how to do this under windows... anecdotal
googling suggests I can get the physical address of the memory I
allocated and shift it right by the PAGE_SHIFT value to get the pfn, but
I thought there would be more to it than that...

Thanks

James