[Xen-devel] Xen bus drivers and the probe function

Hello,

I'm writing a split driver for XenBus. My understanding is that this is the "Xen way" for inter-domain discovery, bootstrapping the process by sharing grants and event channels.

When I look at the block driver, the probe method of the front- and back-ends seems to be doing the bulk of the initialization work. In my sample driver, however, my probe function isn't called. My module gets inserted and the initialization function correctly installs the XenBus driver.

Can someone please explain when the probe function is supposed to be called? If there's no physical device "backing" the virtual device (i.e., virtual block driver is a counterexample), should I be relying on the probe method in the first place?

Thanks,
Mike