RE: [Xen-devel] Hiding pci devices from dom0 drivers

On Thu, 2007-10-04 at 11:53 -0700, Kay, Allen M wrote:
> What are your experiences with the reliability of the following
> "pciback" script to dynamically "hide" pci devices after boot?
>
> I found it cause system hangs about 50% of the time.

I've never had a problem with it. It can hang on unbind if the device in
question is in use but as soon as you free up the device (i.e. close the
application which accesses it) the script will continue.

> I'm also having some issues with xen0 kernel.  It has e1000 driver as
> builtin.  This causes problems since I need to use the latest e1000
> driver from sourceforge so I need to modify xen0 linux config to mark
> e1000 as "m".

The -xen0 is intended to be a mostly statically compiled kernel with
drivers for the most common hardware. If you want a modular kernel you
should be using the -xen kernel.

> In any case, the path of least resistence for me right now is to come up
> with a set of instructions to ask people to download linux-2.6.18-xen.hg
> manually, move it to xen-unstable.hg, turn on PCIDEV_BACKEND='y' in
> config file, and then do "make install" in xen-unstable.hg.

The xen-unstable build system will do the download phase for you. You
can also use the "make CONFIGMODE=menuconfig linux-2.6-xen0-config"
style targets.

Ian.