Re: [Xen-devel] How to install xen 3.1.0 source on fedora??????????

Hi there,

On Thursday 04 October 2007, Harshal Sarode wrote:
> Hi all,
>        I'm a newbie here....Interested to install Xen3.1.0 source,
> Any one pls help me out......Pls provide me with installation
> steps!!!!!!!!!!1

This kind of question is better directed on xen-users - there are more folks
there with experience of end-user problems who'll likely have tripped up on
the same things you'll be working through.

But, as we're here...

Do you really need to install from source?  There are rpms for Xen 3.1.0 on
the XenSource website which may do what you want (depending on your distro).
Otherwise, there may be packages available for your distro somewhere else,
either from the distributor themselves or from an outside contributor.
Starting with packages might help you get up and running and familiar with
Xen quicker than otherwise would be possible.

The downloads page at http://xen.xensource.com/download/dl_31tarballs.html
will allow you to get hold of the source.  It also contains prebuilt trees of
binaries that you can install to save time.  They won't integrate like a
proper package, but they should get you some of the way to a working setup.

If you really need to build from source, you should download the source
tarball.  Once you've untarred it, you should baically be able to build Xen,
XenLinux and all the tools by typing "make", however depending on your system
it may be necessary to customise the setup (e.g. the kernel config includes a
range of device drivers but you still may need to add some specific to your
hardware).

I *think* there's still a "make install" which will have a go at installing
stuff in the right place, but it's not distro-aware so it may not get
everything right.  Exercise caution if you use "make uninstall" or the
uninstall feature of the binary build tarball: the uninstall script isn't as
clever as a package manager's uninstall function.

Once you've done that, you'll need to modify your menu.lst (Grub
configuration) to boot Xen.  Make sure you have a working kernel still in the
menu somewhere so you can still get back in if Xen doesn't work; be
especially careful if you don't have physical access to the box!

Hope that helps give you a general idea what to do.  For more information, you
could check out the wiki (http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/) and the user
manual (http://bits.xensource.com/Xen/docs/user.pdf).  Note that some of the
information in both of these may be outdated, mistaken, or incomplete.  Use
them as a guide, but don't assume that things will work exactly as stated on
your particular system.

which will contain the answers to similar questions to those you might raise.

And feel free to post to xen-users for more help as you go along.  Good luck!

Cheers,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!