[Xen-devel] An interesting observation regarding the passing of time in a HVM domain

  • To: <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 20:06:52 +1000
  • Delivery-date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 03:07:38 -0700

This is just a curiosity, I don't think it is causing any problems...

I'm using a Windows 2003 domain for some driver development, which
obviously involves a lot of crashing and forced shutdowns etc.

I don't bother activating the Windows license, for obvious reasons, and
when I first install, I get 60 days to activate it before it will refuse
to run anymore without being activated.

This morning I noticed that it had about 23 days to go, which I thought
was strange as I'm sure it had over 30 days to go yesterday. Now, it is
saying 14 days to go, which strikes me as really strange.

The only thing I can come up with is that on booting, the time it gets
from Dom0 is wrong (because the localtime thing doesn't work), and then
ntp fixes it. If this fixing it caused (from Windows point of view) time
to advance a day, then go back again, it may think I'm trying to screw
around with the registration counter and deduct a day every time this
happens... It does get rebooted a lot.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

James