[Xen-devel] Building domU from sources in Xen 3.1 ; inaccuracy in Xen User Manual

  • To: xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Mark Ryden" <markryde@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 12:12:08 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 03:12:52 -0700

Hello,

 I downloaded xen-3.1.0 tar ball and ran "make world" and "make install".
I am able to boot into Xen (after updating my grub, according to this doc).

 In the user manual (user.pdf), which is created as part of the build
process under:
docs/pdf , it says:

"After the build has completed you should have a top-level directory
called dist/ in
which all resulting targets will be placed. Of particular interest are
the two XenLinux
kernel images, one with a "-xen0" extension which contains hardware
device drivers
and drivers for Xen's virtual devices, and one with a "-xenU"
extension that just contains
the virtual ones. These are found in dist/install/boot/ along with the
image for Xen itself and the configuration files used during the build."

However,
ls  dist/install/boot/ shows only these files:

config-2.6.18-xen
System.map-2.6.18-xen
vmlinux-syms-2.6.18-xen
vmlinuz-2.6.18-xen
vmlinuz-2.6-xen
xen-3.1.gz
xen-syms-3.1.0
xen-3.gz
xen-3.1.0.gz
xen.gz

The files with extensions -xen0 and -xenU are missing, as you can notice.
So probably the user manual should be updated (this inaccuracy is not
specific to
3.1 version; it is also true to xen 3.0, BTW).

But this is not the thing which bothers me.
My question is : what should I do in order to build a domU
from the Xen sources and later to start it from Xen ?

Regards,
Mark