RE: [Xen-devel] Hypercalls in Intel-VT

  • To: "Ashish Bijlani" <ashish.bijlani@xxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Dong, Eddie" <eddie.dong@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 14:58:32 +0800
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 23:59:20 -0700

DOm0 works in ring 1 root VMX mode. Anyway can switch from ring 1 to ring 0 can be used for accessing privileged resource such as INT xx, or thru exception like I/O.

But HVM works in non root VMX mode though ring=0, so you need to switch from non root VMX mode to root VMX mode to access privileged resource. VM Exit is the only way to do this.