Re: [Xen-devel] Updates to shared APIs

On Mon, Nov 19, 2007 at 11:56:15AM +0000, Keir Fraser wrote:

> Not a bad idea, although I will say that domU interfaces are guaranteed to
> maintain backward compatibility (although this would be easier with detailed
> interface documentation, of course). And the sysctl/domctl changes should
> largely be hidden in the low-level libraries and tools.

Backwards compatibility isn't really the problem (minus the occasional
bug). It's when something new and exciting is added, and we really could
make use of it, but don't even /know/ about it.

As for domctl, this unfortunately isn't true - due to the mlock()
differences, we have to have intimate knowledge of the structures inside
our kernel driver - one of the reasons that switching Xen versions with
Solaris dom0 tends towards the miserable.

regards
john