Re: [Xen-devel] netfront/back documentation on wiki

On Tue, 2007-11-20 at 05:22 +0100, Daniel Stodden wrote:
> Far from being an expert, a general question regarding present and
> future directions on documentation: The interface manual presently
> contains at least enough information to get people started. Personally,
> I would have gotten nowhere without that documentation, it's still a
> fairly good starting point.
>
> So my question is: what will be the primary source of information for
> the future? I'm all for Wikis, but one might then as well consider
> moving the relevant chapters from the interface manual to wiki pages and
> proceed from that, rather than from scratch.
>
> To make me look helpful: I've got some pretty SVG figures, e.g. of the
> ring layout and high-level things like xenbus/netif/blkif between
> dom0/domU etc. on disk, which I could provide. Want some?

Yes, I'm a little confused too.
http://www.xen.org/xen/documentation.html lists only a user's manual for
Xen 3.0, but there's also
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/research/srg/netos/xen/readmes/interface/ which
seems quite nice, should it be linked to from the xen doc page? I think
it still doesn't go into quite the level of detail I'm after for
netfront/netback -- it's a start but we should shoot for interface spec
be sufficiently detailed that a new netfront (or netback) could be
written from it alone.

BTW I just used the wiki because it was easiest scratchpad, I don't know
what the official position is on wiki vs. PDFs. Also, if you have SVGs
I'd love to see them, definitely.

Regards -- Andy