Re: eliminating 166G limit (was Re: [Xen-devel] Problem with nr_nodes on large memory NUMA machine)

>>> Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx> 27.11.07 09:56 >>>
>On 27/11/07 08:43, "Jan Beulich" <jbeulich@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> I think page allocation in this path isn't nice, at least not without success
>> guarantee (not the least because because netback doesn't check return
>> values). I would therefore rather see a solution in placing the burden of
>> ensuring accessibility on the producer (netback) of the page, and fail the
>> transfer if the destination domain can't access the page (whether to be
>> nice and try an allocate-and-copy operation here is a secondary thing).
>>
>> Netback would then need to determine the address size of netfront's domain
>> (just like blkback and blktap do, except that HVM domains should also be
>> treated as not requiring address restriction), and have two pools of pages
>> for use in transfers - one unrestricted and one limited to 37 address bits
>> (the
>> two could be folded for resource efficiency if the machine has less than
>> 128G). Besides that, netback would also start checking return values of the
>> multicall pieces.
>
>I don't get how your netback approach works. The pages we transfer do not
>originate from netback, so it has little control over them. And, even if it
>did, when we allocate pages for network receive we do not know which
>domain's packet will end up in each buffer.

Oh, right, I mixed up old_mfn and new_mfn in netbk_gop_frag(). Nevertheless
netback could take care of this by doing the copying there, as at that point i
already knows the destination domain.

>Personally I think doing it in Xen is perfectly good enough for supporting
>this very out-of-date network receive mechanism.

I'm not just concerned about netback here. The interface exists, and other
users might show up and/or exist already. Whether it would be acceptable
for them to do allocation and copying is unknown. You'd therefore either
need a way to prevent future users of the transfer mechanism, or set proper
requirements on its use. I think that placing extra requirements on the user
of the interface is better than introducing extra (possibly hard to reproduce/
recognize/debug) possibilities of failure.

Jan