Re: [Xen-devel] questions about ballooning

> A quick question:
> So far, the ballooning is triggered manually, right? On theory, it
> should be possible to automatically trigger ballooning on domains to
> get memory resource more balanced. This requires the dom0 to monitor
> the memory pressure of each domains. These information can be
> collected by each balloon driver and sent to xen.
>
> Is such function available on the xen commercial version? Is there any
> plans to develop this in xen open source community?

It's not currently available in the commercial version as far as I know.  But
for a definitive reference, you should look at the information on
www.citrixxenserver.com.

The idea of doing this does get floated about on the list semi-frequently...
I think there may have been a masters student looking at improving the
balloon driver, so maybe he'll consider doing it.  If he doesn't, then it
could make a good little project for somebody.  It wouldn't have to be very
clever to start with.

Cheers,
Mark

> Thanks!
>
> On Nov 5, 2007 2:35 AM, Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On 4/11/07 17:28, "Daniel Stodden" <stodden@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > while you are at it, from xmdomain.cfg(5)
> > >
> > > memory:
> > > Xen does not support overcommit of memory, so the total memory
> > > of all guests (+ 64 MB needed for Xen) must be less than or
> > > equal to the physical RAM in the machine.
> > >
> > > 'memory' is mem_map size, right? is this outdated or simply not true,
> > > or am i missing something?
> >
> > No, 'memory' is total RAM currently assigned across all tests. It just
> > means the obvious thing --- you can't assign more RAM than you have in
> > your entire system!
> >
> >  -- KEir

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!