Re: [Xen-devel] sharing file between running domU (windowxp) and dom0

> As far as i know, both domU and dom0 runs in isolation. I want to modify a
> particular file of running domU(xp) from dom0.
>
> i have tried to pause the domu, then using lomount, mount its image and
> then modifying the file and umounting the image. But when i unpause domu,
> it does not reflect the changes.

You should never, ever do that.  You *must always* shut down a domain before
modifying its filesystem from the outside.  Otherwise you can create
corruption that will destroy the domain's disk data.  Just pausing the domain
or saving it is not enough to protect you, and neither will using the
guest's "hibernate" feature.  The domain *really* has to be properly shut
down.

I'm sorry to emphasize that so harshly but it really is very very important.

This is because filesystems are written with the assumption that they "own"
the disk and that nothing will ever change "underneath" them.  If you modify
the filesystem from the outside then you're doing stuff without the guest OS
knowing about it.  It won't be looking for this and will get confused.  This
could seriously damage your filesystem.

If you do it by accident, you could try xm destroy-ing the domain immediately
in order to prevent it getting confused by the changes to the underlying
disk - before it has time to corrupt anything.  xm destroying a domain which
is modifying the filesystem has corruption risks of its own though (and will
lose any in-memory data), so it's better just to avoid this situation.

I hope that helps.  Again, sorry to be so harsh, but this is one thing about
virtual machines that is *really* important to watch out for, or you will
have major problems at some stage.

Cheers,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.