RE: [Xen-devel] Using VT-D to grant a Windows DomU access to aPCIExpress graphics card?

  • To: "David Stone" <unclestoner@xxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Han, Weidong" <weidong.han@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 21:34:22 +0800
  • Cc: Xen Developers <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 05:35:04 -0800

Graphics card assignment is complex, and not easy to implement. I am not
an expert on it, I can tell you some things I know.
By default, cirrus VGA is emulated for guest. If using VT-d to directly
assign graphics card to guest, first should remove some cirrus VGA
stuffs. It should need 1:1 mapping of frame buffer, VGA bios and VGA
standard I/O ports, and permit directly access right to them. In
addition, you may also need replace guest int10 and int42 handlers with
host handlers. At last, if graphics card's memory is close to or bigger
than 256M, should enlarge guest e820 mmio size, because current guest
mmio size is 256M.

Randy (Weidong)