Re: [Xen-devel] Re: [Xen-changelog] [xen-unstable] tools: Rationalise library soname versions.

On Mon, Dec 10, 2007 at 09:59:46AM +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:

> Daniel P. Berrange writes ("Re: [Xen-devel] Re: [Xen-changelog]
> [xen-unstable] tools: Rationalise library soname versions."):
> > IMHO, the entire rationale of setting all the sonames in one place is just
> > plain wrong. Libraries evolve independantly and thus their sonames change
> > independantly. Tieing sonames to the software release version number does
> > not reflect the reality of their ABI evolution. sonames should only be
> > changed when an existing API changes in a non-backwards compatible manner
> > so its perfectly normal for an soname to stay the same across multiple
> > releases if nothing changes, or merely new APIs are added without changing
> > existing APIs.
>
> In principle I agree with you.  However, in practice the project has
> not been able to maintain the discipline needed to bump a soname when
> the ABI changes.

Please change libfsimage back. I am watching it carefully and as the
original author I do not want or intend the ABI to change (certainly not
incompatibly).

Indeed originally I hoped that this would be packaged separately from
Xen, but it didn't work out like that alas.

Tying a generic library's interface version to Xen's non-stable, mostly
non-usable library interfaces is 100% wrong.

regards
john