Re: [Xen-devel] Re: Scheduling groups, credit scheduler support

On Dec 14, 2007, at 12:20 PM, Samuel Thibault wrote:
Yes, some kind of non-schedulable entity which is just here to do what
Mike's masters do: concentrate scheduling credits.

Yes, precisely. More generally, a place in the VMM to consolidate information about group-related resources.

About the userland interface, I can see two approaches:
- have people explicitely create groups and put domains in it. That can
  be hierarchical (putting groups into other groups)
- have groups created and destroyed implicitely, for instance
join(d1,d2) will make d1 and d2 part of the same group, which is created
if there weren't any previously, or the union of both groups if both
existed.

I prefer the former, only without implicit hierarchy. Policy (in the scheduler, XSM, etc.) can dictate relationships.

Also, there is the question: can a domain belong to several groups?

My current implementation doesn't allow a domain to be in more than one group simultaneously, although it's been discussed internally. Personally, I think it has potential to cause more harm than good, but this is open to debate.

Cheers,
Chris