[Xen-devel] Problems "upgrading" 3.1 to 3.2?

I have a 3.1-based system (OracleVM actually) and am trying to build/run
xen-unstable on it (c/s 16618). From xen-unstable.hg, I am doing a "make
distclean", then building and installing normally (plus normal depmod,
mkinitrd, cp initrd, and grub.conf changes).  However when I reboot, xend won't
run.  /var/log/xen/xend-debug.log says:

  sysctl operation failed -- need to rebuild the user-space tool set?
  Exception starting xend: (13, 'Permission denied')

Another "make install" and reboot still doesn't fix the problem.

I can build and run xen-unstable on another system with a fresh install with no
xen, so I don't think it's pilot error.

Anybody else try "upgrading" and run into similar probs?  My xend is definitely
the new one from xen-unstable, so I'm thinking there must be some leftover 3.1
residue messing things up.

IIRC from years ago, there was some trick to resolve a similar problem, e.g.
removing /var/lib/xen* and rebooting but that doesn't work here.

Thanks for any help or debugging ideas.

Thanks,
Dan