[Xen-devel] Re: [XEN-IOMMU] Proposal of DMA protection/isolation support

Grant mappings will only be triggered for I/O to/from foreign domains. I'm
not really convinced that protecting a driver domain's own memory against
errant DMAs is that important anyway. Firstly, there are many other ways
that a buggy driver can screw its domain, other than errant DMA. Secondly,
any driver that haflway works will request a DMA mapping from the OS before
it initiates any DMA (otherwise the driver would *never* work) and that
would probably be the point at which the OS would set up the iommu mapping.
That's the problem -- the OS will be trusting the driver to tell it when a
mapping should be set up, and that request will usually be co-located in the
driver code with the actual DMA initiation. So if the driver is issuing
errant DMAs, the OS is rather likely to let them happen!

 -- Keir