Re: [Xen-devel] Xen support for PCI-SIG I/O Virtualization

Woller, Thomas wrote:
Let me know if you want to know more.
Curious if your patches have any multi-root logic.. Or if only SR.

Actually, our patches do nothing with IOV (SR or MR). They are a framework which allows one to write plugin drivers for netfront/netback for accelerated network tx/rx. The framework does not mandate how this is implemented. We expect it to be used by smart devices which can be accessed directly from the guest, but even that is not strictly necessary to use the framework. If the NIC does allow safe access directly from the guest, it might be that the silicon uses PCI IOV, or some other mechanism (e.g. our smart NIC uses a proprietary mechanism which pre-dates IOV).

Do you have specific smart NICs that you recommend that work with your
patches/Xen?

Yes, ours :)

You can currently buy them as "SMC Tigertron" cards. Our plugin drivers will be submitted to this list soon.

Cheers,

Greg

--
Greg Law         Solarflare Communications            +44 1223 518 040