[Xen-devel] dom0 and apicid not equal to cpuid

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Langsdorf, Mark" <mark.langsdorf@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2008 15:05:44 -0600
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 08 Feb 2008 13:11:45 -0800

Some AMD processor systems assign the boot processor
(cpu 0) to apicid 4.  Standard Linux handles this
cleanly by keeping track of the correspondences amongst
cpu id, apic id, and acpi id.  dom0 Xen does not have
the code to do that, and AMD is seeing some strange
behavior on our 4 socket quad-core systems.

Specifically, when we try to get ACPI information for
cpu 0, the correspondences break down and the request
fails.

I know some of the code needs to be added to mpparse-xen.c,
but it looks like the relevant code was #ifdef'd out in
the first place.  Does anyone know why the code to match
cpuids to apicids was removed and what would need to be
done to restore it?

-Mark Langsdorf
Operating System Research Center
AMD