Re: [Xen-devel] RFC: removing figlet source from Xen

Alternately - a clone could be used:

http://freshmeat.net/projects/toilet/
http://libcaca.zoy.org/toilet.html
(LGPL)

Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
The Xen source tree currently contains a copy of the figlet sources. During
the hypervisor build it builds figlet and uses it to generate the big ascii
art 'Xen 3.1.0' version string shown upon boot.

The problem is that the figlet code is licensed under the original Artistic 1.0 license, and not the clarified version. The original non-clarified license is classed as non-free by Debian and on the forbidden list for Fedora too:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing#head-d8cc605dd386091c8b6be97b8a43fb6a5d624ae1

So, the figlet source code in Xen has to be removed if we're to continue
shipping Xen in Fedora. While I could re-spin the source tar.gz files myself
before importing them to Fedora, it'd be preferrable if the official Xen
source code tar.gz were shipped without figlet in the first place.

I'm happy to send a patch to clean this up - just wondering which option
would be preferred...

 - Remove figlet entirely and just have a normal size "Xen 3.1.0" string
   printed at boot
 - Include the pre-generated large ascii art "Xen" and have normal size
   "3.1.0" version stirng.
 - Optionally call out to a plain figlet binary in $PATH, using a normal
   size version string if not found.

Personally I'd just go for option 1 or 2 since they're least effort...

Dan.