RE: [Xen-devel] Why is STP turned off?

The guest vifs are indeed very unlikely to be acting as bridges.
And any switch that only has a single uplink and N internal links
(none of which lead to a Bridge) can indeed decide not be an 802.1
Bridge and therefore not run spanning tree.

But if Xen is not running spanning tree and one of the Guest VIFs
*does* run spanning tree the results can be quite messy. An explicit
warning on this might make sense.