Re: [Xen-devel] Unexpected error: exceptions.OSError

FermÃn GalÃn MÃrquez-2 wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Following the indications in the bug error message itself :), I'm
> reporting to the list:
> [...]
> Some hint regarding the cause of the problem and possible solution?
> Thanks!
>
> Best regards
>
> ------
> FermÃn

Hi,
I have the same problem (xen-3.0.3-1 on Debian Etch) :
root@MVDS2:~# xm create /etc/xen/VDS02.hvm
Using config file "/etc/xen/VDS02.hvm".
VNC= 1
Unexpected error: exceptions.OSError

Please report to xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/xen-3.0.3-1/bin/xm", line 7, in ?
    main.main(sys.argv)
  File "/usr/lib/xen-3.0.3-1/lib/python/xen/xm/main.py", line 1446, in main
    rc = cmd(args)
  File "<string>", line 1, in <lambda>
  File "/usr/lib/xen-3.0.3-1/lib/python/xen/xm/main.py", line 751, in
xm_importcommand
    cmd.main([command] + args)
  File "/usr/lib/xen-3.0.3-1/lib/python/xen/xm/create.py", line 1191, in
main
    dom = make_domain(opts, config)
  File "/usr/lib/xen-3.0.3-1/lib/python/xen/xm/create.py", line 982, in
make_domain
    os.kill(vncpid, signal.SIGKILL)
OSError: [Errno 3] No such process
root@MVDS2:~#

my config file /etc/xen/VDS02.hvm :

#============================================================================
# Python configuration setup for 'xm create'.
# This script sets the parameters used when a domain is created using 'xm
create'.
# You use a separate script for each domain you want to create, or
# you can set the parameters for the domain on the xm command line.
#============================================================================

import os, re
arch = os.uname()[4]
if re.search('64', arch):
    arch_libdir = 'lib64'
else:
    arch_libdir = 'lib'

#----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Kernel image file.
kernel = '/usr/lib/xen-3.0.3-1/boot/hvmloader'

# The domain build function. HVM domain uses 'hvm'.
builder='hvm'

# Initial memory allocation (in megabytes) for the new domain.
#
# WARNING: Creating a domain with insufficient memory may cause out of
#          memory errors. The domain needs enough memory to boot kernel
#          and modules. Allocating less than 32MBs is not recommended.
memory = 512

# Shadow pagetable memory for the domain, in MB.
# Should be at least 2KB per MB of domain memory, plus a few MB per vcpu.
shadow_memory = 8

# A name for your domain. All domains must have different names.
name = 'VDS02'

# 128-bit UUID for the domain.  The default behavior is to generate a new
UUID
# on each call to 'xm create'.
#uuid = "06ed00fe-1162-4fc4-b5d8-11993ee4a8b9"

#-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# the number of cpus guest platform has, default=1
vcpus=2

# enable/disable HVM guest PAE, default=0 (disabled)
pae=1

# enable/disable HVM guest ACPI, default=0 (disabled)
acpi=1

# enable/disable HVM guest APIC, default=0 (disabled)
apic=1

# List of which CPUS this domain is allowed to use, default Xen picks
#cpus = ""         # leave to Xen to pick
#cpus = "0"        # all vcpus run on CPU0
#cpus = "0-3,5,^1" # run on cpus 0,2,3,5

#
#  Networking
#
vif  = [ 'ip=10.1.20.102' ]

# Optionally define mac and/or bridge for the network interfaces.
# Random MACs are assigned if not given.

vif = [ 'type=ioemu' ]
#vif = [ 'type=ioemu,mac=00:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff' ]

#----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Define the disk devices you want the domain to have access to, and
# what you want them accessible as.
# Each disk entry is of the form phy:UNAME,DEV,MODE
# where UNAME is the device, DEV is the device name the domain will see,
# and MODE is r for read-only, w for read-write.

#disk = [ 'file:/export/home/mydisk.raw,hdc,w',
'file:/export/home/install.iso,hda:cdrom,r' ]

#disk = [ 'phy:/dev/dsk/c1d0p0,hdc,w',
'file:/export/home/install.iso,hda:cdrom,r' ]

#disk = [ 'phy:/dev/zvol/dsk/mypool/mydisk,hdc,w',
'file:/export/home/install.iso,hda:cdrom,r' ]

#disk = [ 'file:/var/lib/xen/images/windisk.img,ioemu:hda,w',
'file:/home/xen/iso/vista-pro.iso,hdc:cdrom,r' ]
#disk = [ 'file:/var/lib/xen/images/windisk.img,ioemu:hda,w',
'phy:/dev/cdrom,hdc:cdrom,r' ]
disk = [ 'file:/home/xen/domains/VDS02/disk.img,ioemu:hda,w',
'file:/home/xen/iso/CentOS-5.1-i386-LiveCD.iso,ioemu:hdb:cdrom,r' ]

#----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Configure the behaviour when a domain exits.  There are three 'reasons'
# for a domain to stop: poweroff, reboot, and crash.  For each of these you
# may specify:
#
#   "destroy",        meaning that the domain is cleaned up as normal;
#   "restart",        meaning that a new domain is started in place of the
old
#                     one;
#   "preserve",       meaning that no clean-up is done until the domain is
#                     manually destroyed (using xm destroy, for example); or
#   "rename-restart", meaning that the old domain is not cleaned up, but is
#                     renamed and a new domain started in its place.
#
# The default is
#
#   on_poweroff = 'destroy'
#   on_reboot   = 'restart'
#   on_crash    = 'restart'
#
# For backwards compatibility we also support the deprecated option restart
#
# restart = 'onreboot' means on_poweroff = 'destroy'
#                            on_reboot   = 'restart'
#                            on_crash    = 'destroy'
#
# restart = 'always'   means on_poweroff = 'restart'
#                            on_reboot   = 'restart'
#                            on_crash    = 'restart'
#
# restart = 'never'    means on_poweroff = 'destroy'
#                            on_reboot   = 'destroy'
#                            on_crash    = 'destroy'

on_poweroff = 'destroy'
on_reboot   = 'restart'
on_crash    = 'restart'

#============================================================================

# New stuff
#device_model = '/usr/' + arch_libdir + '/xen/bin/qemu-dm'
device_model = '/usr/lib/xen-3.0.3-1/bin/qemu-dm'

#-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# boot on floppy (a), hard disk (c) or CD-ROM (d)
# default: hard disk, cd-rom, floppy
#boot="cda"
boot='dc'

#-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
#  write to temporary files instead of disk image files
#snapshot=1
#----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# enable SDL library for graphics, default = 0
sdl=0

#----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# enable VNC library for graphics, default = 1
vnc=1
vncviewer=1

#----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# address that should be listened on for the VNC server if vnc is set.
# default is to use 'vnc-listen' setting from /etc/xen/xend-config.sxp
vnclisten="0.0.0.0"

#----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# set VNC display number, default = domid
vncdisplay=2

#----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# try to find an unused port for the VNC server, default = 1
vncunused=0

#----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# enable spawning vncviewer for domain's console
# (only valid when vnc=1), default = 0
#vncconsole=1

#vncpasswd=''

#----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# no graphics, use serial port
nographic=0

#----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# enable stdvga, default = 0 (use cirrus logic device model)
stdvga=0

#-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
#   serial port re-direct to pty deivce, /dev/pts/n
#   then xm console or minicom can connect
#serial='pty'
#serial='stdio'
#serial='file:/tmp/blah'
#serial='/dev/pts/0'
serial='null'
#-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
#   enable sound card support, [sb16|es1370|all|..,..], default none
#soundhw='sb16'

#-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
#    set the real time clock to local time [default=0 i.e. set to utc]
#localtime=1

#-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
#    start in full screen
#full-screen=1

#-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
#   Enable USB support (specific devices specified at runtime through the
#                       monitor window)
usb=1

#   Enable USB mouse support (only enable one of the following, `mouse' for
#                             PS/2 protocol relative mouse, `tablet' for
#                             absolute mouse)
#usbdevice='mouse'
#usbdevice='tablet'

If I set sdl=1 and vnc=0, I get another error...
root@MVDS2:~# xm create /etc/xen/VDS02.hvm
Using config file "/etc/xen/VDS02.hvm".
Error: name 'VDS02' is not defined
root@MVDS2:~#
Anyone have an idea ? What can I do to try and debug this ?

-----
Yann DÃnendal