Re: [Xen-devel] Xen Virtualized OSX

> Indeed, that'd make sense...
>
> Well, I'd imagine that if one could pass ctrl of a video card to a DomU
> machine, then that could open up a lot of fun possiblities not just for
> OSX.

Indeed, we live in interesting times.  Even more awesome would be to be able
to pass multiple video cards to different guests but I believe this is not
currently supported.

> The way I'd control the rid is get a VNC server running on the Dom0
> machine and then remotely just control things through that - heck, it'd be
> especially fun as one could use VNC's webserver to control things. :)

Would be cool, yes.  I assume the current solution assumes that the user
somehow net-logins to dom0.  I've not looked at it, just saw the changeset
comments.

> I wonder exactly what else stands in the way of getting OSX to see a the
> native apple hardware from the DomU perspective? I'd imagine if there was
> EFI support for DomUs as well as control of whatever hardware addresses
> that must be contacted to verify the machine is "genuine" - then the DomU
> should be happy with unhacked osx. Though the osx86 project really has come
> a very long way.

Quite possibly true.  EFI support isn't available for domU as far as I know. I
expect it will be, one day.  Beyond that I don't know how much of the
hardware provided by default is supported by OS X out of the box.

There are obvious licensing issues and I doubt Apple would be particularly
helpful support-wise about OS X running in a Xen VM, even on an Apple branded
box.

Back in the old days, before x86 support in OS X, there was talk of porting
the Darwin kernel to run as a Xen PV guest.  The PPC Xen project is, as far
as I know, dead now and PPC Macs are fading into the past :-(  Possibly you
could port Darwin x86 to run as a PV guest but I don't know who'd have the
motivation to do that these days.

Cheers,
Mark