[Xen-devel] Xen Development and Debugging

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Ahmed Moneeb Azab <amazab@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 16:59:42 -0400
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 22 May 2008 14:00:14 -0700

Hi all,

I am new to Xen and I need to do some changes/additions to both the hypervisor and the kernel code for research purposes. I have two inquiries:

1- What is the best way to do development for Xen? what I am thinking about now is to update the code, then rebuild the xen hypervisor and compile a new kernel for testing. Is there any way more practical to test my updates more quickly?

2-I want to capture some events that occur inside the hypervisor. My initial thought was to generate a custom signal and raise it withing the hypervisor module. I would then read this signal from a Dom-0 or user level application. Again, is there any more practical method, or is there any mechanism for event handling already implemented in the Xen code?

Thanks.