Re: [Xen-devel] [patch]Add a new reboot method

On 29/5/08 12:49, "Alan Cox" <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> to be affected: Linux post 2.6.22 (iirc) fails to reboot my Dell Precision
>> 490 correctly, I have to force it to use the CF9 method. I tried looking
>> into the changes that got made in that area, but wasn't able to (spend
>> enough time to) pin-point the problem so far.
>
> You might want to boot a 32bit kernel and try acpi=off, if that does the
> trick then its (another) ACPI bug and the cf9 is red herring ?
>
>> But I also agree to you and Keir that blindly writing to a port is no good
>> idea. It should at least be assured that hardware supports this.
>
> Which takes us back to ACPI. If 0xcf9 is the correct process the ACPI
> method should use it.

One issue here is that Xen itself does not support the ACPI reboot method.
It would be easy for Xen to do so since the reset register is probed via a
fixed entry in the FADT. I would very much like a patch to add support for
this -- far more than this 0xcf9 hack!

 -- Keir