Re: [Xen-devel] [patch]Add a new reboot method

On Thu, 29 May 2008 16:49:46 +0100
Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 29/5/08 15:59, "Alan Cox" <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> >> ACPI *can* be involved in rebooting though, via FADT's RESET_REGISTER.
> >> Question is: why does Linux ignore this reboot method?
> >
> > It doesn't. Well at the least upstream version doesn't. We default to
> > keyboard currently but that probably wants reconsidering for modern
> > systems.
>
> Well, I have to disagree. Looks to me like ACPI reboot is supposed to be
> implemented by acpi_reboot() and looking at 2.6.26-rc4 that function is
> still stubbed out. Am I missing something?

My fault. I was looking in the tree I run not the upstream tree. We've
had patches available for it since mid 2007. Looks like they got stuck
somewhere around Andi Kleen.

The original thread seems to be this one:

although it doesn't appear to check the fadt hdr rev is > 1 now I look
harder. Looks easy enough to try in Xen, and perhaps that would also meet
Huacai's needs ?

Alan