Re: [Xen-devel] BUG: [?] host-only networking under HVM is broken with custom script

  • To: "Keir Fraser" <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Ray Barnes" <tical.net@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 03:26:39 -0400
  • Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 02 Jun 2008 00:27:01 -0700

Thanks Kier.  My script does get executed but apparently it's being
done too late in the game for the addition of the bridge to be
effective.  To solve for this, based on your comments, I borrowed some
code from one of the other scripts and stuck it in qemu-ifup:

    if [ ! -e "/sys/class/net/${bridge}/bridge" ]; then
        brctl addbr ${bridge}
        brctl stp ${bridge} off
        brctl setfd ${bridge} 0
    fi

This works perfectly, only with the added side-effect that tap0 ends
up on the bridge too.  I'd imagine this will cause problems once I get
more than one HVM up under the same scenario on the same node, so I
delete tap0 from the bridge at the bottom of qemu-ifup.  As an aside,
most people (according to what I've read) seem to take it for granted
that you should bring up the bridge outside of Xen (i.e. in the OS's
network scripts).  Obviously that's a flawed methodology that doesn't
scale well.  Surely there's a cleaner way of doing this?  Any plan to
code something like this into a future release?

-Ray