Re: [Xen-devel] Re: Exporting symbols from hypervisor

  • To: Sandesh <sandesh.ahiremath@xxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Grzegorz MiÅoÅ <gm281@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 10:53:22 +0100
  • Cc: xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 02:54:13 -0700

Hi grzegorz,
I have one more issue. I want to export do_domctl function for
debugging. I did EXPORT_SYMBOL(do_domctl) its not happening. Any idea
about this.

Xen doesn't use modular architecture and consequently EXPORT_SYMBOL
macro is a no-op (see: include/xen/config.h).
But i seen it being used in xen/common/string.c and in other ia-64
specific src files. And those exported symbols are visible in
System.map. Is it that during compilation of those files different
header files are included?

System.map lists symbols for _Linux_ not Xen. So for example 'strlcpy' is defined in xen/common/strings.c, but also in linux-2.6.18-xen.hg/ lib/string.c. It is the second definition that makes it into System.map.

You just need to add
do_domctl definition to a header file. Or define it wherever you need
with 'extern'.
no acutally i need to debug do_domctl instruction by instruction using
kdb, and kdb dosent recognize the it, so i thought of exporting it.

I've never used kdb to debug Xen. Are you using
http://xenbits.xensource.com/ext/debuggers.hg?

Cheers
Gr(z)egor(z)

BTW: Can you reply to the list, not me personally? It'd make it easier for me to reply.

Cheers
Gr(z)egor(z)

Sorry to bother you again and again.

Thanks very much.