RE: [Xen-devel] Remapping memory in a HVM DomU from one pfn to another?

  • To: "Keir Fraser" <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 22:58:52 +1000
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 05:59:21 -0700

> On 10/6/08 13:02, "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> >> XENMEM_exchange. Look at 'struct xen_memory_exchange' in
> >> xen/include/public/memory.h. Note that GMFN means PFN for an HVM
> > guest.
> >> Hopefully it is all self-explanatory enough.
> >>

> > I tried it and 'xm dmesg' says:
> >
> > (XEN) hvm.c:747:d11 memory_op 11.
> >
> > And looking in hvm.c, it appears that this occurs in
> > do_memory_op_compat32(...) and the only supported memory_op function
is
> > XENMEM_add_to_physmap. Does that mean I'm out of luck?
>
> Good news is this should be supported as of xen-unstable c/s 17855.
The
> bad
> news is I'm reluctant to backport for the next 3.2 release as the
required
> changes to 32-on-64 argument translation are rather subtle. I guess we
can
> see how things go in xen-unstable and backport in a while if we
> sufficiently
> care.

I'm interested in the pvscsi stuff in unstable too. What's the timeline
for the next major release (eg 3.3 or whatever is coming after 3.2.x
finishes)?

For me to make use of it in the windows pv drivers it would really have
to be in all conceivable current releases, otherwise I might as well
just continue with my workaround. I know my code breaks on 3.0.x (I
should probably put that in the wiki...), but I'd like to continue to
support anything newer.

Windows is such a pain to code on compared to Linux :(

Thanks

James