[Xen-devel] Re: Isolation and time

Whether machine load can affect an HVM guest's time synchronisation really
depends on how the guest OS manages time. If it depends on 'timely' timer
ticks on a specific VCPU, for example, then there's probably a limit to what
we can do. Luckily it seems that many kernels are fairly robust to missing
ticks however -- using ticks just to kick off queued work and to update
system/wall-time stamps. If you want to do a really thorough testing job I
don't think you can ignore the multi-domain case.

(1) and (2) below should probably behave similarly, but I'd expect that (2)
might result in more regular scheduling/descheduling of the domain under
test than (1) where the other domains run I/O workloads (and hence have
irregular CPU demand).

 -- Keir