Re: [Xen-devel] domU unable to release memory to dom0

Sandesh <sandesh.ahiremath@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
>   i want to know when exactly does the memory get released back to dom0
> when domU is shutdown are destroyed. Actually i was just playing with
> the code, and it so happened that now when i shutdown/destroy my domU
> memory is not getting released back to dom0. The bad part is that even
> after undoing all the changes the problem persists..

>From what I understand, when a XenU exits, it frees the memory back to the
xen free pool, but does not automatically baloon that ram back to the Dom0.

look at 'xm info'  -  is the ram from the DomU being sent back to the
free_memory  pool?

if so, and you want the ram back in the Dom0, just 'xm mem-set 0 [megabytes]'

Personally, I have had some problems with balooning the Dom0 up and down, so
I set dom0_mem on the kernel command line and  dom0-min-mem
in xend-config.sxp to the same value.  I don't ever do anything in the Dom0
anyhow, so there is no reason to keep free ram in the Dom0 rather than the
free pool.