Re: [Xen-devel] Memory allocation in NUMA system

Keir Fraser wrote:
On 25/7/08 11:26, "Yang, Xiaowei" <xiaowei.yang@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Indeed the only reason we still have dma_bitsize is to break the
select-NUMA-node-first memory allocation search strategy. So tweaking the
dma_bitsize approach further to strike the correct NUMA-vs-DMA balance does
seem the right thing to do. Feel free to work up a patch.

 -- Keir

How about this one?

Hmmm.. something like that. Let's wait until 3.4 development opens to get
this checked in.
Mmh, why not check this in in 3.3? I have noticed this problem already a year ago and was having some other kind of fix for it (which actually prefered nodes over zones):
http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2007-12/msg00831.html
I think this is a somewhat serious issue on NUMA machines, since with the automatic pinning now active (new in 3.3!) many domains will end up with remote memory _all the time_. So I think of this as a bugfix. Actually I have dma_bitsize=30 hardwired in my Grub's menu.lst for some months now...

Regards,
Andre.

--
Andre Przywara
AMD-Operating System Research Center (OSRC), Dresden, Germany