Re: [Xen-devel] Re: Xen spinlock questions

Jan Beulich wrote:
Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@xxxxxxxx> 06.08.08 22:21 >>>
Jan Beulich wrote:
In my tests, I only see it fall into the slow path a couple of thousand times per cpu for a kernbench run.
Hmm, that's different then for me. Actually, I see a significant spike at
modpost stage 2, when all the .ko-s get linked. The (spinlock) interrupt
rate gets up to between 1,000 and 2,000 per CPU and second.
BTW, how much contention for CPUs was there?

In Xen or the kernel? So far these are all Dom0-only measurements, so
in Xen there should be no contention.

OK. The spinlock results are most interesting when there's contention for physical cpus between domains.

To answer your other mail's question: It's defconfig builds I'm using.
[SuSE defconfigs]  Presumably that has a lot enabled as modules.