[Xen-research] CFP: Workshop on I/O Virtualization

[please accept our apologies if you receive multiple copies of this
announcement]

First Workshop on I/O Virtualization (WIOV '08)
December 10â11, 2008, San Diego, CA, USA
http://www.usenix.org/wiov08

WIOV '08 will be held in conjunction with the 8th USENIX Symposium on
Operating Systems Design and Implementation (OSDI '08), December 8â10,
2008.

Overview

Over the past decade, the use of virtualization technology has grown
rapidly. Moreover, it is being used in a variety of places, ranging
from the data center to the desktop. Although this has spurred great
advances in processor and memory virtualization in commodity hardware
and virtualization software, I/O virtualization has received far less
attention. However, both personal computers and servers may perform
significant amounts of I/O. For example, efficient virtualization of
graphics hardware has presented significant challenges on the desktop
and efficient virtualization of network interfaces has limited server
consolidation in the data center.

This workshop is meant to provide a forum to discuss challenges of I/O
virtualization that span the virtual machine monitor, guest operating
system, processor, memory subsystem, and I/O subsystem. In that
spirit, we welcome papers that describe new challenges in I/O
virtualization and papers that describe novel approaches to solving
known problems in I/O virtualization. The final program will consist
of both reviewed submissions and invited talks. The invited talks will
focus on open problems in I/O virtualization and will be accessible to
a broad audience.

Topics of interest include but are not limited to:

    * Hardware support for I/O virtualization
    * Novel I/O device architectures for virtualization
    * Novel software approaches to I/O virtualization
    * Software methods for I/O device emulation
    * Para-virtualized I/O device driver design for virtualization
    * Virtual machine monitors I/O subsystems

Important Dates

Submissions due: September 15, 2008
Notification to authors: October 3, 2008
Final files due: November 3, 2008

Workshop Organizers

Program Co-Chairs

Muli Ben-Yehuda, IBM Haifa Research Lab
Alan L. Cox, Rice University
Scott Rixner, Rice University

Program Committee

Eyal de Lara, University of Toronto
Jun Nakajima, Intel
Renato Santos, HP Labs
Karsten Schwan, Georgia Institute of Technology
Pratap Subrahmanyam, VMware
Leendert van Doorn, AMD
Andrew Warfield, University of British Columbia

Submission Guidelines

Please submit an extended abstract in PDF format through the workshop
submission web form, which will be available at
http://www.usenix.org/wiov08 soon. The extended abstract should be no
more than 4 double-column pages using 10-point type on 12-point
leading ("single-spaced"). Figures and references are not included in
this 4-page limit.

--
Workshop on I/O Virtualization (WIOV '08)
Co-located with OSDI '08, Dec 2008, San Diego, CA