Re: [Xen-devel] Question: direct I/O for system volume

Hi Samuel-san,

On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 09:59:08 +0100
Samuel Thibault <samuel.thibault@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Jun Kamada, le Wed 27 Aug 2008 20:07:23 +0900, a 馗rit :
> > Does the functionality provide direct I/O for "system volume" in guest
> > domain?
>
> What do you call "system volume"?

Sorry, it means "boot disk".

Guest software can directly see HBA(Host Bus Adapter) as a hardware
by using the device passthrough functionality. However, current guest
BIOS doesn't have a capability to load and invoke expansion ROM stored
in the HBA, I guess. As a result, the guest OS cannot boot up from a
disk under the HBA.

#If my understanding was wrong, please point out.

I understand that this limitation does not come from the device
passthrough functionality, but probably from guest BIOS or the other
component.

Best regards,

-----
Jun Kamada